Sunday, September 23, 2012

Bringing in Some *Magic*...

...Wands that is!

I saw this idea on Pinterest and knew I wanted to make them and that meant I HAD to figure out a way to incorporate them into my classroom (a bunch of magic wands really wouldn't fit my home decor).

I decided to use them as a reward as my students are always admiring the wands I have purchased at Harry Potter World in Orlando and use as pointers for my lessons.  I use a Clip Up behavior chart and the wands are available for any students who reached OUTSTANDING 10 times.

The wands are a HUGE motivator as we have only been in school 9 days and I already had an adorable curly haired boy tell me which wand was "calling his name".  I told him to keep up the OUTSTANDING behavior and he would be able to choose his.

The wands are dowel rods, hot glue, and beads.  So easy but FANTASTIC!

Starting point

Using hot glue and beads for texture

Molding the glue to design handles
Finished Products


Wands displayed in my classroom

I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way they came out and so do my colleagues and my kids.  These were easy to make and could be as complicated or simple as desired.  

Can't wait until the first WAND CEREMONY!
Swish and Flick!
-Damien 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! They came out great! I don't blame that little boy for wanting one! And I really wanted to get one when I went to Harry Potter world, they're just so cool.

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara!

    I love the way they came out and the kids are really working hard to "earn their wands". I will keep ya posted when we have our first wand ceremony.
    -Damien

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww u are one awesome teacher. Your kids will always have the magical memories you created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I appreciate your kind words.
    -Damien

    ReplyDelete