Saturday, March 10, 2012

Tweets from Hogwarts

This wonderful activity was something I found on Tracee Orman's Teacher's Pay Teachers page.  It is a great activity guide that allows the students to Tweet as people from history or as the characters from their novels.  We used this activity in the middle of our core novel Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  The students were assigned a character and worked independently on creating a tweet from that character based on the events of the chapter.  We used Tracee's planning page for this and it worked brilliantly.  Then, as a group the students decided on two Tweets to send out to the Twitter-verse.

Here are just two of our Tweets:
Here are the two tweets that the Harry group decided on sending. 

Here are two Tweets from Hogwarts Headmaster Albus Dumbledore
My principal, a HUGE Twitter fan, came in during this activity and was immediately in love with it.  The kids can't wait to Tweet again.  I am going to have them Tweet once as a character and then let another character Tweet back a response.

Make sure to check out Tracee's Teacher's Pay Teachers store at: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Tracee-Orman

-Damien

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Just found your blog! I absolutely love the Harry Potter books. I read them over and over. I am now a follower of your blog! Hope you will check out my blog and become a follower.

    http://williams2ndgradepigpen.blogspot.com/

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a personal level, I am a HUGE Potter fan. I just did an "About Me" tab on my blog and talk about my Potter obsession. My students know my Potter problem. I teach 4th grade in Texas, so I usually try to read Sorcerer's Stone when testing is done for the year. It helps students to make a final connection with me. Love this I idea! I am your newest follower...

    Tammy
    Confessions of a Fourth Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! Kelly and I both love Harry Potter and I have my entire classroom decorated in Potter styles. Teresa, Kelly was just checking out your blog as she will be a second grade teacher next year. You have some wonderful ideas. Tammy, I think that is a great that your students bond with your over Mr. Potter.

    Thanks for being followers!
    Damien and Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the shout-out! :) I'm so glad you and your students (AND your principal!) loved the Twitter activity! It's definitely one that both younger & older students have fun with. Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem. Credit where credit is due. I love this activity and I thrilled to share your work with my followers!
    -Damien

    ReplyDelete