Sunday, March 11, 2012

Goldilocks Math & LA Unit

For the past week and a half we have been examining everything Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I began the unit by reading the story to my class and attending a PFA sponsored puppet show.  After we were well versed in the story we made Goldilocks and Baby Bear (shown below) inspired by a picture I saw on the Glyph Girls blog at www.glyphgirls.blogspot.com.  I used scrapbook paper for Goldi's bows and Baby Bear's bib.  The girls loved curling Goldi's...well...locks and the boys had a blast making Baby Bear.

Our bulletin board displaying Goldi and her favorite bear
This activity pretty much hooked my kids into all things Goldilocks.  From there we retold the story, ate and graphed our porridge preferences (or lack there of).  I brought in three different flavors of Teddy Grams and gave each child a pre-filled (and differentiated) cup that they graphed using their mats.  They then conveyed that information in a bar graph.


We also spent some time talking about Goldilock's character traits.  I gave my students 6 words (3 of which applied to Ms. Locks) and asked them to identify which words fit Goldilocks and what information they can provide from the story to support their responses. 

How cute is Goldi?


One of the days each students brought in their stuffed bear to assist them in all their Goldilocks activities.  This was so adorable that it was the talk of the school.  

All these activities and more can be found at our TPT Store by clicking on the following link.  The Reading Buddies on TPT

Enjoy!
-Kel


6 comments:

  1. Your blog is adorable! I just became your newest follower. :) I would love it if you could swing by my blog and check it out.

    http://allthatglittersinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are getting ready for our Folk and Fairy Tale unit! Seeing your cute Goldilocks make me smile! Just followed your blog and TpT store!


    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute blog! I'm your newest follower! Found you on the TpT forum! Welcome!!

    Stacy
    Mrs Johnson's First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly, Thank you for becoming my newest follower! I will be following you also, I loved your blog and can't wait to share ideas. I am very new at all this and I have to say getting feedback is awesome!

    Hi Laura, I am still working on my Goldilocks unit because my class cannot get enough. We are currently working on nonfiction text about bears and made an adorable craft/writing activity I will have pictures soon.
    Thank you for following I am off to follow your blog and tpt store!

    Hi Stacy, Thank you for following my blog and tpt store!! I will be joining your blog and tpt!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness - too cute!!
    I'm following you now! Thanks for commenting on my blog! :)

    ♥ Jen
    The Teacher's Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen, Thanks for following me! We are just starting out and would love more followers at our TPT store. We are loving every minute of our new adventure with other fantastic teachers.

    Kelly

    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/The-Reading-Buddies

    ReplyDelete