Saturday, March 12, 2016

Getting Seuss-y With It!

Hello Buddies!

The Reading Buddies absolutely LOVE Read Across America Day. At our school we celebrate with a  day of reading and by wearing our pajamas to school.  Any day that I can wear pajamas to school is OK in my book. 
We start the day by having the kids explore the many works of Dr. Seuss and complete a "Reading Passport" as they document their journey through the collected works of Dr. Seuss. I move all the desks out of my room and the kids bring in blankets and pillows in order to get comfy. The Reading Passports are a great way to start the day, it's calming-which is a good thing this year as Kelly and I have a combined 39 2nd and 3rd graders. (Remember, I used to bring independent and responsible 5th grader to our activities, but those days are gone!)

After some buddy reading time I read aloud Kelly's FAVORITE Dr. Seuss book. I have read this book aloud for the last 10 years on Dr. Seuss Day because it is Kelly's favorite. (I read my favorites Oh the Places You'll Go and Hoorday for Diffendoofer Day earlier in the week.  

We carried over the skills we have been working on in our TCRWP Reading Units of Study and analyzed Horton's Character Traits. After documenting the text evidence, we wrote long about Horton's trait and analyzed a trait that we have. 

After all that hard work we took a min break and watched the Warner Bros. version of the Horton cartoon. The kids loved it and it was a nice break for everyone, (exhausted teachers included).

Love this picture of my co-teacher, para, and I using some Seuss props from the first grade across the hall. 
It was a fun, but exhausting day! Hope everyone enjoyed their Seuss Celebrations and, of course, READING!

Bye Buddies!
-Damien

No comments:

Post a Comment